If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (954) 776-2000

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

How To Prevent Fire Damage To Your Plantation Home

4/4/2017 (Permalink)

Fire Damage How To Prevent Fire Damage To Your Plantation Home SERVPRO Tip: Overloaded Outlets Cause Fire Damage in Plantation Homes

Fire Cleanup in Plantation Is a SERVPRO Service


Any homeowner knows that fire is a serious concern. As well as the danger to your family, fire damages your home and belongings and disrupts your life as you work on getting things back to normal. SERVPRO is on hand to help you clean up after any fire - “Like it never even happened.”
 
Prevention is better than cure. By taking precautions, you help prevent fire damage to your Plantation home. Not all fires are unavoidable. Sometimes you do not notice a potential problem or hazard until it is too late. SERVPRO experts recommend being proactive about checking for possible fire hazards in your homes.
 
A leading cause of fires is faulty wiring. Regularly check the wiring and electrical cords in your home, such as hairdryer or shaver, TV or computer wires, and other appliances. Replace any wiring that is frayed. If you cannot safely replace it yourself, call an electrician. It does not take long to do and could prevent a serious incident.
 
As well as checking your wiring, our technicians recommend you regularly check your outlets. We use them all the time every day without actually thinking about it. An outlet if it is faulty can be a genuine fire hazard. For this reason, we recommend never to overload electrical outlets. If your outlet looks like a mass of noodles, there is a real risk of fire. Stick to the simple rule of one plug to one outlet. Do not use any outlet that feels hot to the touch or gives off sparks. Call an electrician for assistance if you notice something amiss with an outlet. Do not be lulled into thinking that power strips are safe; an overloaded circuit is an overloaded circuit.
 
Another thing you can do to protect your home from fire is regular maintenance on your furnace, central heating or open fireplaces. A furnace "blowback" is about as messy as smoke and soot can get. All of these need regular maintenance to keep them in good working order and make sure they are safe for your home. Get your heat sources checked thoroughly once a year. Mark it on your calendar or set a reminder on your phone so you do not forget. You should also regularly check any space heaters you use to be sure they are fit for use.
 
Always be careful if you have an open flame in your house. For example, SERVPRO recommends that you never leave a burning candle unattended even for a moment. The same applies for gas flames on your stove or if you have an open fireplace. Wherever there is a flame, take extra precautions to keep them away from drafts or materials that could catch fire.

SERVPRO of Ft Lauderdale South is on hand to assist you with the aftermath of a house fire. Call us at (954) 776-2000 for assistance.

Other News

View Recent Posts